Saturday, January 4, 2014

BOOK BLURB: Where You'll Find Me



Author: Erin Fletcher
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Number of Pages: 211
Expected Pub. Date: January 7, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
(Received an ARC from Netgalley for an honest review)

Goodreads:

When Hanley Helton discovers a boy living in her garage, she knows she should kick him out. But Nate is too charming to be dangerous. He just needs a place to get away, which Hanley understands. Her own escape methods (vodka, black hair dye, and pretending the past didn't happen) are more traditional, but who is she to judge?

Nate doesn't tell her why he's in her garage, and she doesn't tell him what she's running from. Soon, Hanley's trading her late-night escapades for all-night conversations and stolen kisses. But when Nate's recognized as the missing teen from the news, Hanley isn't sure which is worse: that she's harboring a fugitive, or that she's in love with one.


My Thoughts:

One thing that probably compelled me to read Where You’ll Find Me was the secrets between the characters: Hanley’s own issues, and most especially the mystery behind Garage Boy. The reason as to why he was living in another family’s garage intrigued me. Why? Does he not have a family? Did he run away? Was someone chasing him? Or was he there because he was fed up with his boring life? Aside from that, I was also a bit interested with Hanley and Nate’s relationship. How will it begin? How will it play out? Will it be sweet or funny?

For the most part, Where You’ll Find me has been an okay read. Yes, just an okay book. The writing and the pacing were fine. I was actually hooked from the very first chapter. It was easy to read, and there’s almost always something going on. So boring, it is not! But what really kept me going was the itch to know more about Nate’s past. He has been one of the major the driving force to finish the book. As I read, I realized that I couldn’t care less what Hanley has been up to in the past years. In other words, Hanley was not very interesting at all. And the love story? I gave up on that from the moment Hanley began her “can’t get Nate out of my mind” moments.

Yes! This may as well be the infamous insta-love stories most people dread to read. I should have been warned by the summary that this was going to be like that, but sorry, I overlooked it. I should have known from that “…she knows she should kick him out. But Nate is too charming to be dangerous…”! Anyway, it was not totally insta-love, more like an immense attraction that immediately sparked up. Then, attraction went to kissing moments, which lead to their undefined relationship. And I was not pleased with that. It just went too fast. Please…

Now on to the other characters! I think Heather, Hanley’s sister, was the only secondary character who has evolved in some way throughout the story. She has left a significant mark for me, maybe because I can somehow relate to her. The others have been the same as how they are from the beginning. Most of them were flat, and not truly out of the ordinary. And can I just take a moment to stare and feel dumb-founded towards Nate’s parents. Huh!

Although the plot has not been extraordinarily mind-blowing, and the love story has been unsatisfactory, I honestly think that Erin Fletcher has managed to somehow tug a few of my heartstrings by the end of the book, because of the intensity of the family issues and the few moments of Hanley and Nate. I’m not saying that the ending was great, It wasn’t. It was alright, and the whole story still felt lacking in general. And honestly, letting a stranger live in your garage, no matter how charming he is, is a bad idea. Maybe the story needed a little more umfff or something. I don’t know.

With all these said, I give Where You’ll Find Me 2.5 stars.

View all my reviews

 

2 comments:

  1. But, but, but... I had such high hopes for this book! :( Guess I won't be reading this book anymore.

    Thanks for the great review though! :)

    -Kimi of Geeky Chiquitas
    www.geekychiquitas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimi! :) Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed with this one. Thought it would be a great read. But it wasn't bad. You can still read it, you know. Maybe you'll like it better than I did.

      Thank you!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...