Friday, January 18, 2013

BOOK BLURB: Unearthly (Unearthly #1)

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


***

Date Read: January 18, 2013

Rating: 3.5 stars

I have read a few of Angel/Nephilim books before, and I personally like most of them. Some of them were okay, some were a bit darker than the others, some were really good, but they were all quite different from each other. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, thankfully, also separates itself from all the other angel books.

Despite the fact that it also had a different taste from all other angel books, the first half of the story was a bit boring. It introduced the angel-bloods, their purpose, how they came to be, their characteristics. The book started with most of the explanations about the them. In my opinion, the beginning of the book was a bit weak.

Aside from the fact that it was mostly narration of angel stuff, I didn't really get Clara. She even seemed annoying sometimes. I just didn't connect with her. Plus, the obsession with the guy in the vision was a bit too much. I was already debating with myself if I should still continue the book or not. Thankfully, the story picked up just a little before prom season and...

THANK YOU TUCKER AVERY FOR SAVING EVERYTHING!

Tucker did not really stand out when he first appeared in book. But gosh, did he change my mind about wanting to stop reading! He was actually one of the major reasons I kept on reading. And thank heavens I did because the story was actually good. I like that the whole story was somehow driven my Clara's purpose, and not entirely by the romance. The cute love story was great as well. And the ending was nicely put up. It wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it will leave you wanting to read the next books (if you liked Unearthly).

I don't know if I should give it the complete four stars or what.. I got ticked off by the beginning. So 3.5ish... :D

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...