Monday, October 22, 2012

BOOK BLURB: Divergent (Divergent #1)

Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Number of Pages: 487
Date Published: April 25, 2011
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia

Goodreads:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


***
My Thoughts:
(Date Read: August, 2011)

I was really excited to buy this book. I've read a lot of excellent reviews about Divergent that's why when I first saw it in the local bookstore, I kind of squealed (a little).

What I really love about this book is that there's always something happening. There's no dull moment. My sister read the first three chapters before me, and I asked her how it was. She said, "It's good. The story just began, but there's already something going on. Very interesting." When I started reading it, I didn't want to put it down. As the story progresses, I got more and more into the book. It was fast-paced, and there's almost always something that will catch your attention. I didn't even want to leave the house and go to school because of this. I love the idea of having five factions in the society, and how each affects the world they were in. (Kinda like high school cliques, but only bigger.)

I wanted to give it 5 stars, but there were points or scenes that I found a little predictable. But there were also moments that screamed, "Woah! I didn't see that coming." Also, I'm not very happy with the ending. It wasn't the kind of ending I was expecting for the "first book of a series" - major cliffhanger! It makes me want to grab Insurgent now.


Other books in the series that I reviewed:




***February 2016 Update***
This 2011 review has been somewhat updated to suit the format and the layout of the blog. No major change has been made with my review.  The thought, and most of the words I used back when I wrote this review is still the same. Only some minor editing, like deleting unnecessary words, phrases, expressions and emoticons, Links to the review for the succeeding books were also added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...